Saturday, May 21, 2011

Unlimited Possibilities

With everything we talked about this week, I think I’ll just keep it nice and light today. I’ll just mention a concept called unlimited possibilities.

When we talk to children, we often tell them that they can do anything they want to do; be anything they want to be. And when they are young, they believe us. What I’ve noticed is that when I talk to very young children (like 8 and under) they still want to be things like doctors, lawyers, police officers, engineers, etc. They want to build buildings and put out fires. As they get into those middle school years, third grade-ish and up, their stories begin to change. Already, they’ve realized that the world is not friendly to everyone, so they figure they’d better alter their dreams into something more possible for them. Entertainers and ball players lead the pack because those are the things they see they can do without anybody’s help. If they work hard enough to hone their talents, someone will discover them and make them famous and there’s nothing anyone can do about it. There is a huge disconnect.

Problem is, we tell them they can do or be anything, but then we give them no guidance or training to point them in the right direction. Fast forward 20 plus years and you’ve got, well –US! We were those children many years ago. We had lofty hopes and dreams, altered those dreams to make sense in “our world” and are now wherever we are, doing whatever we are doing to make a living. If we’re really lucky, we don’t ABSOLUTELY HATE what we do, but a lot of times we do. We are working too hard, robbing peter to pay paul, putting up with all kinds of bull from employers, etc. just to have a job. If we are lucky enough to have “a career,” it is usually so far removed from anything we would have chosen to do that, while we’re not miserable, we’re not fulfilled.

So I’ll tell you now like we tell kids, you can still do anything you want to do! Like they say, where there’s a will- there’s a way. It doesn’t matter much where you are today, if you know where you want to be, and commit yourself to getting there, you can make it happen! As we go forward, we’ll talk about making a plan, making good decisions, getting help getting there, etc. but the first thing is to determine what you want to achieve and then believe it can be done. Trust me on this! Talk to you soon.

Til next week… Peace- two fingers, one love!

100609120706_peace-sign-hand-image

1 comment:

  1. I can honestly say that I am where I want to be and wanted to have been at THIS point in my life. At 8, I wanted to be a teacher. I am. When I started playing and learning basketball, I wanted to be a coach. I am.
    My goal is always to get better and do better and continue exploring my unlimited possibilities.

    ReplyDelete